Having trouble displaying GeoTIFF raster data

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Mon Dec 12 13:06:50 EST 2005

Chieko -

You don't report the size of your image, but if your TFW file
coordinates are correct, the upper-left corner of your air photo is
624.725 meters west and 4974.725 meters north of the upper-left corner
of your map area (your viewer lets you scroll north and west to an
extent that begins at (1160000, 1895400).  That means that unless your
image is more than 1136 pixels wide AND more than 9045 pixels high, it
is simply too far north and west to be visible.

     - Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.
73 Princeton Street, Suite 305
North Chelmsford, MA  01863
ed at topozone.com
(978) 251-4242

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Chieko Maene
Sent: Monday, December 12, 2005 12:18 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Having trouble displaying GeoTIFF raster
data

I have an 8-bit greyscale aerial photo GeoTiff image (with coordinates
information in the header) that I want to add to my map, but I cannot
seem to get it to work. The strange thing is, I don't get any error
message when rendering the output PNG image - and still there is no
aerial photo. My map and the GeoTiff are in the same coordinate system
(init=epsg:26971) so I thought simply adding a layer to the .map file
would work, but it didn't. I think I am missing something very simple
but don't know what. Will anybody please advise me? Any input would be
appreciated.

My test site is: http://cmaene.lib.uic.edu/apress/campusmap11.php

I am using PHP/mapscript 4.6 (MapServer for Windows, MS4W, pre-compiled
.exe version) on Microsoft-IIS/5.1, and here is the version string from
MapServer & MapScript:

MapServer version 4.6.1 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP
OUTPUT=PDF OUTPUT=SWF OUTPUT=SVG SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE
SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER
SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WCS_SERVER INPUT=JPEG INPUT=POSTGIS
INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE DEBUG=MSDEBUG PHP MapScript Version
($Revision: 1.235 $ $Date: 2005/06/14 16:03:35 $)

The layer info:
#####################################
# the output IMAGETYPE is PNG
# the input GeoTIFF is in the same SHAPEPATH LAYER
   NAME "DOP04"
   TYPE RASTER
   STATUS on
   DATA "DOP4.tif"
   PROJECTION
	 "init=epsg:26971"
   END
END
#####################################

I tried:

- switchig layer status to "on" or "default"

- adding a world file (.tfw) to the GeoTiff
	0.550000000000000040
	0.0
	0.0
	-0.550000000000000040
	1159375.2749999999
	1900374.7250000003

- adding "PROCESSING" and/or "PROJECTION" classes to the layer in the
map file to make sure that the GeoTIFF file is read via GDAL.

- converting the GeoTiff to JPEG using Photoshop and then add a world
file (.jgw) - again, the airphoto didn't show-up, but no error message.

- converting the GeoTiff to PNG using tiff2png and PNG2, but the
conversion attempts failed (lack of memory?? original GeoTIFF is 350 MB,
or the header information wasn't read properly?)

I read (among other documents & threads):

MapServer how-to, Raster Data in MapServer 4.4
http://ms.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/raster_data/

- [Mapserver-users] How to force GDAL to read tiffs?
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/data2/wilma/mapserver-users/0405/msg00025.h
tml

- [Mapserver-users] How to force GDAL to read tiffs?
http://lists.dmsolutions.ca/pipermail/mapserver-users/2004-May/018352.ht
ml

- [ms4w-users] When will the next MS4W build be available
http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/ms4w-users/2005-October/000310.html

- [Mapserver-users] Trans.: Gdal, geo tiff raster and mapserver
http://lists.gis.umn.edu/pipermail/mapserver-users/2004-May/013080.html