Foundation and Mapserver MAP file manage tool

Bob Basques bob.basques at CI.STPAUL.MN.US
Wed Dec 14 12:05:43 EST 2005

Jeff McKenna wrote:

>I hear ya Bart, it's so needed.  I for one think such a tool is very
>useful (whenever we travel internationally it's MapLab that we're known
>for it seems), and a few of us continue to help support MapLab users for
>that reason.  But something is definitely needed.
>
>If you haven't already, take a run-through of the MSE Studio
>product.  It seems to allow for exactly what Steve mentioned - creating
>pre-styled layers that are available in multiple applications.

This is something that we've dealt with here at the City as well.  We've
taken a slightly different approach.  We went with MapFiles per layer.
This was mostly from necessity.  We needed the Data Admin's to be able
to manage their own data (own their respective MAP files), this has
worked pretty well, but we needed to build our own middle ware to pull
the pieces togetherfor distribution/visualization.

In the end it meant we could do some thing very intersting things with
the user interface having things seperated this way.   More on this when
I get a Public Version ready.  :c)

Basically, we're already set up to do this type of thing, even to pass
in a MAP file fragment/chunk via the Web for on the fly settings made by
the users.

There's big potential here for something like this.  We're still
evaluating our Business needs, but this seems to satisfy a lot of what
we're after for a user interface and capabilities list.

bobb