Foundation and Mapserver MAP file manag e tool

Gregory S. Williamson gsw at GLOBEXPLORER.COM
Thu Dec 15 07:12:35 EST 2005

Well, nobody would have to use the db mode, but I personally would find that easier than XML, which I find notoriously sensitive to misplaced spaces and the like. The readability of binary combined with the terseness of ASCII.

That said, XML might give some excellent options in communicating map data to other systems, GIS or not. The database would more less transportable, but perhaps would gain in some other ways (ACID aspects, internal safety/sanity checks, etc.). Such a db interface would want to use fairly limited SQL to support various databases such a Postgres, Oracle, MySQL, etc.

In general I've found that any non-trivial map is semi-hard to edit and read, and tools to help automate map file production would be a great help. It would allow for more customization for different users, IMHO.

Greg Williamson
DBA (natch)
GlobeXplorer LLC