Foundation and Mapserver MAP file manag e tool

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Thu Dec 15 09:51:58 EST 2005

On 12/15/05, Gerry Creager N5JXS <gerry.creager at tamu.edu> wrote:
> I'm getting in late on this, but what're the chances of using GML for
> this functionality instead of trying to roll our own?  GML's already OGC
> recognized.  Done right, it could cover most of the "stuff" we're
> interested in, and could be readily extended (and OGC ratified,
> probably) if we needed to.

Gerry,

I think it would be wrong to try and make the mapfile itself be a
proper GML document.   A map is not a feature, so why force
it to be?

However, one could make the case that inline features ought to
be expressed in GML if we had an XML format mapfile.  I'm not
sure *I* would be the one to make that case, but it could be made.

Best regards,