Foundation and Mapserver MAP file manag e tool

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at TAMU.EDU
Thu Dec 15 16:37:22 EST 2005

Frank,

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> On 12/15/05, Gerry Creager N5JXS <gerry.creager at tamu.edu> wrote:
>
>>I'm getting in late on this, but what're the chances of using GML for
>>this functionality instead of trying to roll our own?  GML's already OGC
>>recognized.  Done right, it could cover most of the "stuff" we're
>>interested in, and could be readily extended (and OGC ratified,
>>probably) if we needed to.
 >
> Gerry,
>
> I think it would be wrong to try and make the mapfile itself be a
> proper GML document.   A map is not a feature, so why force
> it to be?

I guess I was poorly expressing the same concept.  However, it seems
that we could identify the extensions necessary to allow for vector data
to be incorporated in GML.

We don't need to force a map into the constraints of GML as it exists
today.  This strikes me, however, as a reasonable extension to the GML
concept.  GML is currently available for features, but could, as well,
represent vectors, polygons, etc.

> However, one could make the case that inline features ought to
> be expressed in GML if we had an XML format mapfile.  I'm not
> sure *I* would be the one to make that case, but it could be made.

Let me go back this weekend and reread the thread and see if I need to
come apologize for interrupting, or offer a proposal.

Gerry
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020  FAX 979.862.3983
MAIL:  AATLT, 3139 TAMU
Physical: 1700 Research Parkway, Suite 160,
College Station, TX 77843-3139