Does a Map File PHP Parser/Writer Class Exist?

Larry Shaffer larry at SHAFFERINTERACTIVE.COM
Fri Dec 16 12:43:29 EST 2005

Does a Map File PHP Parser/Writer Class Exist? If so, is one available to
the Open Source community for inclusion in other apps?

I'm writing a PHP/CMS app with a cartographic section and want admin
users to be able to manipulate Map files through a PHP 'administrative
panel.' This would be straightforward if Map files where XML-based, but
this is not the case. I know MapLab edits Map files, but I would like to
build a simplified version, because my symbol set is standardized and the
layers will usually be just raster-based or standardized shapefiles, but
with a direct uploading 'bypass' of Map files for those very limited
number of users who know how to edit them directly.

Most users of my app will only want to learn the bare minimum to have my
app's Mapserver-related pages display their work. Most will not even know
what a shapefile is, let alone a Map file! The shapefiles are only an
export from another program most of the users use - so the outputted
shapefile is always the same structure, just different content.

--
Larry