Choosing the Choosers

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Fri Dec 16 19:47:50 EST 2005

Paul -

I found your note a little confusing; I thought you were quoting
excerpts from the MTSC RFC document you referred to.  Some of those
questions are related to the MTSC's current charter, and those are
answered by the MTSC RFC (i.e. #1 through #3) - but some aren't.  I just
want to be sure to differentiate between existing agreements on MTSC
charter and behavior and suggested ideas about a new organization's
rules of the road.

I think it is absolutely essential to realize that there is a world of
difference between the body of code called MapServer and the "product"
called MapServer.  The MTSC is (and has been) an excellent body for
managing the "code" issues.  But as that same RFC says:

If it relates to changes in the code, it is technical.
If it relates to how the developers cooperate, it is technical.
If it relates to legal issues around code ownership it is technical.
If it relates to documentation, or the web site it is not technical.
If it relates to events such as conferences, it is not technical.

And if it's not "technical" it is outside the MTSC's charter.
Documentation, web sites, conferences, marketing, seminars, business
partners, training, user groups, etc., etc. are all major issues and
projects beyond the scope of the MTSC.  Let's be sure we don't confuse
the two.

Your original question is a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem.  The
answer to "who should make decisions" depends on the answer to "what
questions are you asking?"  For example, if the Foundation is to be
responsible for product naming, branding, and identity, I would suggest
that the answer is not "make decisions by polling a random bunch of
people on an email list" <g>.

The original open letter announcement said:

"The primary responsibilities of the foundation may include:

    * Support code repository and other project infrastructure
    * Formalized process for decision-making (e.g. where to host the
next conference)
    * Legal protection for the source code and developers of the
software
    * Paying for development work on minor improvements of the platform
    * Acting as a central repository for marketing, branding and
professional image development of the product
    * Providing process for mitigating disputes
    * Financial support for advocacy, sponsorship, community events and
conferences"

It may be helpful to consider a refined draft of the Foundation's
proposed responsibilities and goals before trying to answer the question
of how it should be managed.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker