tile index performance

Sat Dec 17 09:27:41 EST 2005

Mark Wright wrote:
> Would you get better performance imorting the shapefile into postgis?

Mark,

The general conscience is that shapefiles are fastest. postgis is
wonderful and I use it for a bunch of stuff with mapserver. I keep my
data it shapefiles except for when there is an advantage to putting it
in postgis, like for doing thematic mapping where I need to do a join on
render and join is dynamically defined. The great thing about mapserver
and postgis is that you can mix and match layers of shapefiles and
postgis and all the other connection types in a single mapfile.

One size fits all ... but it is rarely a good fit ;)

-Steve W.