Choosing the Choosers

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at SHAW.CA
Sat Dec 17 20:03:12 EST 2005

On December 17, 2005 09:56, Paul Spencer wrote:
> I am starting to believe that from a user's point of view (that's me,
> I'm not a developer of MapServer) it will actually make very little
> difference to me in the long term since all I want to do is download
> the software and build tools on top of it.  As long as the
> contributors are happy that they can continue to develop and maintain
> MapServer, I'm ambivalent about where the project lives.

Good points Paul S. and Bill.

I am in a similar boat - I am mainly a user (definitely not a developer).
From one perspective all I care about is having access to the code.  I trust
the MTSC to be able to make logical commitments to the long term direction of
the code in the project.  That is, to do what is in the best interests of the
project and its community.  The spectre of a fork or (even worse) general
disinterest in a project is the open source peer pressure that keeps thing
open and honest.

From another angle, I care less about the code in the project and more about
my user experience.  I have very high hopes that more project-level
organisation (and joining the foundation) will help bring my user experience
to a whole new level.  Even if the code were to stay stagnant, there are a
lot of (non-technical) things that I would like to see happen so that the
user base grows and supports one another.

So, I'm partly ambivalent about where the project lives, but partly focused on
ensuring that it lives in a place that helps the community grow as much as
possible.

Tyler