Autodesk product naming poll

Allan Doyle adoyle at EOGEO.ORG
Wed Dec 21 17:36:36 EST 2005

On Dec 21, 2005, at 17:23, Ken Lord wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> I hope you enjoy our rainy westcoast christmas ... first day of winter
> and its 13deg C. Feel free to drop in on us if you are still around in
> January.
>
> I think I need to clarify again,  I really like the idea of the
> mapserver foundation, I can see the benefits of it, and that its time
> has come.
>
> This is however entirely different from blurring the line between
> MapServer and MapGuide for Autodesk's gain.
>
> As Allan put forth, to prove that this isn't just another in the very
> long list of products taken over by Autodesk to eliminate THEIR
> competition, either they must drop the MapServer name, or everything
> coming into the foundation must take the Smurf, errr I mean MapServer
> name regardless of what its purpose is.

If I put that forth, then I've been misunderstood. I don't impute bad
motives on anyone's part in the naming thing. I think it's good
motives gone awry. Autodesk wants to do something good. I think
that's excellent. I also think Dave wants to do something good. Also
excellent. I just disagree with him on the naming issue.

	Allan

--
Allan Doyle
+1.781.433.2695