Autodesk product naming poll

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at SHAW.CA
Thu Dec 22 09:49:19 EST 2005

On December 22, 2005 06:07, Paul Spencer wrote:
> I'm really starting to think that the foundation should be called
> MapTools ...

I am too.  As much as I would hate to see the word "MapServer" come off the
foundation name, we can't have our 'protect the brand' cake and eat it too.
The arguments against sharing the MapServer brand name with other projects
also affects the naming of the foundation.  If we are saying that other
products shouldn't have any association with the MapServer name, then
logically those projects should not be part of a foundation called MapServer
either.  Many people are saying that naming other projects with the word
MapServer is confusing, then having a foundation called MapServer with
non-MapServer projects becomes just as confusing.

Unfortunately, by naming the foundation something more generic, MapServer
itself will lose a bit of the potential PR and perceived central role that we
had hope would come with having a foundation named after it.

I think this warrants further debate, I'll start a thread on the foundation
discussion list.

Tyler