[MSF-Discuss] Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Autodesk product naming poll

Ken Lord kenlord at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 22 13:09:48 EST 2005

Hi Tyler,

I hope it doesn't look like I'm just a contrarian to everything, I'm
not intentionally targetting you, I very much appreciate the help
you've given me in the past ...

Personally I think it sounds just fine for the foundation to use the
MapServer name, for MapServer to use the MapServer, and other products
within the foundation to use their own names.

It lends some history to things and doesn't contradict the arguement
against giving every product MapServer somewhere in its name.

Mapguide, by the MapServer foundation
MapServer, by the MapServer foundation
Product X, by the MapServer foundation

... All seems to sound fine.

Each product keeps its own name, eliminating the brutal confusion that
some of us have already experienced with the public and with GIS aware
people, and the link / purpose / history is kept alive by the name of
the foundation.  There's no new unknown brand to sell.

It seems to work just fine for the Apache Software Foundation.

Anyways, I'll reign in my crazed ramblings, my arguement over product
naming appears to be moot judging by the 8 votes for the Smurf naming
convention and 70 votes for not giving the MapServer name to Autodesk.

Happy Holidays,
Ken Lord
Vancouver BC