Poll: MapServer and Autodesk

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Thu Dec 22 22:48:28 EST 2005

Paul -

I think you may be right, although I think I was confused by Gary's
explanation.

I have to say, however, that this poll reminds me of Ross Perot's famous
poll - "Do you support giving the President a line-item veto to cut
government waste?"  Who's going to vote in favor of government waste?

Describing one option as "making open source web mapping the platform of
choice" and the other as "competing directly with the new brand name
that will be created and heavily promoted by Autodesk" is rather far
from being a neutral presentation!  If option (b) encompasses something
like the scenario I mentioned (a "product line" name that is a new name,
not derived from either existing brand, and product names based on the
"familiar" names currently in use) then yes, you're right.  But that
wouldn't be "competing directly with the new brand name" any more than
"MapServer Cheetah" and "MapServer Enterprise" are, so I'm confused.

There is a big red herring about "competition" swimming about here.  The
product formerly known as Tux and the product formerly known as
MapServer ARE competing, and an endless debate about names isn't going
to change that.  These are two "competitive" products, in that many
customers will choose between them because either one is a reasonable
starting point to solve their problem.  Autodesk has announced that they
plan to develop a commercial support and services business around the
product formerly known as Tux.  That's fine, but that will inevitably
flavor their support and interest in any foundation in which that
product is one of several choices.  If Autodesk did not want to
"compete" with MapServer, it could have directed its staff to work on
the many needed enhancements to the existing MapServer code base rather
than continuing to build and release a completely separate body of code.

I am *not* saying that this competition is a bad thing, nor am I saying
that Autodesk should have done anything differently.  But it is
misleading to claim that with the right branding and labeling one can
cause the products to not compete, or to think that if they're managed
by separate foundations they're competing and if they're managed by the
same foundation they're not competing.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker