[MSF-Discuss] Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Autodesk product naming poll

Sat Dec 24 00:03:35 EST 2005

Paul,

This is a very good point and it has crossed my mind on occasion, then
again it is a name that has a lot brand equity invested in it. I think
that I personally am not that wed to this name, but I have not heard any
name suggested that I like better, if we want to change the name then
lets put forth some more candidates and IF we find a name that we like
better, then consider switching. Or empower a team to do the naming that
we can all get behind. This is not in fact an easy thing to do as anyone
in a product business should know. And it is harder to do for multiple
products that overlap and/or compete.

It might be easier to do if we used made up word names like automobile
names (Integra) or where you smash two words or concepts together to
make a name the implies both the attributes to the product. Developers
tend to like utilitarian or acronym type words as seen from the bulk of
suggestion so far and my own laziness about naming software.

Anyway, just some additional thoughts.

-Steve W.