Sort of MapServer related . . Stacked, or coincident points . . .

Bob Basques bob.basques at CI.STPAUL.MN.US
Thu Dec 29 11:37:44 EST 2005

Dylan Keon wrote:

>1) jitter the points by introducing a small amount of random error
>into the coordinates (only works well when zoomed in pretty far).
>
>2) plot a single point for each research site, with data for multiple
>specimens contained in the attributes for that point.
>
>3) render a single point of one color where multiple specimens were
>collected at a site, and another color where a single specimen was
>collected.
>
>In my case option 2 worked out pretty well.  However, your data are
>quite different and I wasn't doing imagemaps.  Also, my data were
>selected and rendered dynamically based upon the user's query.  You
>mentioned you can't separate the points easily - is your address
>dataset stored in a database,

It's not so much that I can't seperate them, as it is the need to keep
them together for business reasons.

There is at least a "primary" (tax Owner) address in every case, along
with possible secondary addresses in the cases of Duplexes and Apt.
Buildings, etc.  All Addresses need to be viewable, even if I seperate
out the Primary, there would still be instances of secondary stacked
points.  I'm still researching this at this point to gather options.

The data is all in a Oracle DB

bobb