USGS Urban coverage shapefile

Lester Caine lester at LSCES.CO.UK
Wed Feb 2 19:04:49 EST 2005

Thomas Chesky wrote:

> In the meantime, is there a free GIS tool (preferrably on Windows) I
> could use to
> 1) Get the WMS layer of a given USGS Urban ortho area

SAGA is doing a nice job for me. Just grabbed a couple of colours off an
raster map, created a line drawing, and SAGA converted it to a shape
file. Then I scaled things to give the right numbers.
http://geosun1.uni-geog.gwdg.de/saga/html/index.php
It's a bit heavy, but it does the job.

> 2) Use a "drawing" tool to draw the boundary myself and save that
> polygon as shapefile?
>
> It's manual labor, but better than not having exact coverage :-)

The coastline took 3 hours to 'convert' so drawing might be quicker ;)

--
Lester Caine