Install Problem - error loading libgd

Jeff Berry jeffb at ERLANDSEN.COM
Thu Feb 10 18:03:38 EST 2005

I’m installing MapServer on a new server running Linux RedHat ES.  I’ve
installed gd-2.0.33.  After compiling mapserver and running it at the
command line to see if it’s working, I get the following error:

./mapserv:  error while loading shared libraries:  libgd.so.2:  cannot open

I do indeed have libgd.so.2  installed in /usr/local/lib.  The configuration
setup I used for mapserver is:

./configure –with-freetype=/usr/local/include/freetype2/freetype –with-zlib=
/usr/local –with-gd=/usr/local –with-proj=/usr/local –with-gdal=/usr/local/b
in/gdal-config –with-php=/usr/local

Any ideas why mapserver can’t see the library?  I’m at a loss.

-Jeff