PostGIS vs. Shapefile

Daniele Margotti margottid at COMUNE.LUGO.RA.IT
Fri Feb 11 04:10:08 EST 2005

A SQL query (using psql) like this:

SELECT * FROM ra_strade WHERE gid >= 0 ;

(i.e., all 33000 records) outputed to a file, takes about 3 seconds.

I will try debug options (decommenting and setting them to "true"), to
see if there's something strange.

        Daniele

-----Original Message-----
From: Miroslav Šulc [mailto:miroslav.sulc at startnet.cz]
Sent: Friday, February 11, 2005 9:38 AM
To: Daniele Margotti
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] PostGIS vs. Shapefile

And how long does it take when you perform some SELECTs with WHERE
clause directly at the PosgreSQL server (with psql or something
similar)? I don't know how to create PostGIS WHERE clauses so I cannot
give you a tip but maybe someone can help or you can find an example
somewhere. It would be best to issue the same query as mapserver does.

I think that if the queries will take long time then the problem may be
in PostgreSQL else the problem may be somewhere between mapserver and
PostgreSQL or mapserver itself.

You can also try to use some of these debug options in your
postgresql.conf: #debug_print_parse = false #debug_print_rewritten =
false #debug_print_plan = false #debug_pretty_print = false
#log_connections = false #log_disconnections = false #log_duration =
false I have PostgreSQL 8.0.1 and I don't know whether these options are

present in your version. Some of these options look pretty interesting.

Miroslav Šulc