Slow raster image display with TILEINDEX

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Sun Feb 13 22:47:08 EST 2005

Ganesh -

Dylan's right - GeoTIFF is the best format choice.  Are you viewing the
images at near their original resolution?  If you are "zoomed out" a
lot, viewing little pieces of many images at once, you will do well to
read about gdaladdo and create lower-resolution overviews of your
images.  Dylan's other suggestions and questions also apply.

JPEG is an especially poor choice for cartographic raster data.

     - Ed

Ed McNierney
TopoZone.com

From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Ganesh P
Sent: Sunday, February 13, 2005 9:29 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Slow raster image display with TILEINDEX

Hello everyone

We have several raster images (GeoTIFF) overlapping and covering the
area. We are using GDALTINDEX to make an index file and TILEINDEX to use
the index file in the map file.
When the Raster layer is enabled, the image is being rendered well but
it is taking a very long time to display the image. Is there any way to
speed up the process of rendering the image. Say by changing the image
format to jpegs or something like that.

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ganesh