dynamically supress/enable lables at zoom in/out

Steven Monai stevem at SPATIALMAPPING.COM
Tue Feb 15 11:42:31 EST 2005

Besides using the MIN and MAX SCALE parameters, you can get quite nice
results by using the BUFFER parameter in your LABEL block, say "BUFFER 5",
to specify a buffer zone of 5 pixels around each label when MapServer looks
for label overlaps. Other parameters I've found useful or essential in the
LABEL block are:

FORCE FALSE : to prevent labels from overlapping;

PARTIALS FALSE : to prevent labels from running off the edge of the map (I
hate it when labels get cut off);

MINFEATURESIZE AUTO : to prevent labelling features that are smaller than
their labels (usually a good idea, but not always);

MINDISTANCE 20 : to prevent duplicate labels from appearing closer than 20
pixels apart (or whatever distance you decide); think of this one as
another kind of BUFFER.

Finally, make sure you have "LABELCACHE ON" in your LAYER block, to allow
MapServer to work its magic most effectively.

Regards,
-SM