Layers don't show up

Jacob Delfos jacob.delfos at MAUNSELL.COM
Tue Feb 15 19:57:20 EST 2005

Wokar,

you MUST set a proper path for your shapefile, because otherwise it becomes relative to the application. That is why it says:

msSHPOpenFile(): Unable to access file. (/var/www/cgi-bin/nhtm93s3)

Because it is trying to find a shapefile called "nhtm93s3" inside your cgi-bin folder. Use an absolute path for your shapepath. And if your file is not a shapefile, I think you should convert it. I am not sure whether the OGR input supports e00 (Arc Export format). But I know for sure it definitely will not work if you try to access it as a normal shapefile.

The errors you get so far are purely those of the input files not being found (or not being shapefiles). You must solve that first.

regards,

Jacob

From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On Behalf Of w m
Sent: 16 February 2005 08:18
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Layers don't show up

Thank You Brent,
I did change  the SHAPEPATH
Also, Instead of using those particular files, I replaced it with many different shapefiles....it still didn't show up. Only the map shows up and the layers don't.  Even the legend doesn't show up. No clue why?

Brent Fraser <bfraser at GEOANALYTIC.COM> wrote:
  Wokar,

  Two problems:

  1. A file ending in .e00 is not a shapefile, it's an ESRI export format.    I don't think Mapserver will read those.  Search the MapServer email archive on how to convert e00 files to shapefiles.

  2. You need to set your SHAPEPATH to have a leading "/" to indicate it's an absolute path:
          SHAPEPATH "/var/www/temp"

  Brent Fraser