Poor Mr. SID image performance as a layer

Brian Fischer bfischer at HOUSTONENGINEERINGINC.COM
Thu Feb 17 16:13:06 EST 2005

Frank,

That is great news!  I can test it out as soon as I can get my hands on
a compiled windows binary.  I will probably have to wait until Howard
creates a new version, since that is the only windows binaries I know of
that has Mr. SID support compiled into it.

Thanks,
Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Warmerdam [mailto:fwarmerdam at gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 3:04 PM
To: Brian Fischer
Cc: MAPSERVER-USERS at lists.umn.edu
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Poor Mr. SID image performance as a
layer

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:52:48 -0600, Brian Fischer
<bfischer at houstonengineeringinc.com> wrote:

> Are there any tips or tricks to get better performance with Mr. SID
images
> or am I out of luck with these large Mr. SID files?  I am using the
binary
> from Hobu's kitchen sink MapServer 4.4.1
> (http://hobu.stat.iastate.edu/mapserver/).
>
> I am using a 320mb Mr. SID image as a raster layer and it is taking
about 30
> seconds for MapServer to refresh my map.

Brian,

I have dramatically reworked the GDAL MrSID driver and with the
latest code you should see good (though not really great) speed.

I have a 370MB MrSID RGB file and am seeing roughly 2 second
turn around time on my Athlon 1800 system.  Performance should
be even better on greyscale files.

The code is committed in CVS and should be in last nights CVS
snapshot for GDAL.  It is *not* in 1.2.5.  I hope to release a GDAL
1.2.6 early next week.

I would like to stress that the poor performance was due to a
"simple" design in the old MrSID driver in GDAL, not due to problems
with the underlying MrSID technology.

Best regards,
------
warmerdam at pobox.com