Polar Stereographic

Chris Helm helmster_99 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Feb 18 12:57:16 EST 2005

Dominic,

I dont know if this will help but I use polar
stereographic to display data in high latitudes. Most
of the layers in my mapfile are are defined in lat
long coords. and I've used some javascript that
changes the entire mapfile projection block to
streographic based on where the user is in the
application.

I use different projection definitions to display data
in different regions, using lon_ts to center the map
in a particular region.

s_polar =
"proj=stere,ellp=WGS84,lat_ts=-71,lat_0=-90,lon_0=0,k_0=1.0"
n_polar =
"proj=stere,ellp=WGS84,lat_ts=71,lat_0=90,lon_0=0,k_0=1.0"

And for a map centered on alaska:
n_polar_ak =
"proj=stere,ellp=WGS84,lat_ts=71,lat_0=90,lon_0=-140,k_0=1.0"

I originally thought I could use lat_ts=90 but in
calculating the inverse equations (for coord display)
I found if i used something like -71 it worked fine.

I also dont use x_0 and y_0.

This is kind of a confusing answer but I hope it
helps,

Chris

http://www.remotesensing.org/geotiff/proj_list/polar_stereographic.html