compiling Gdal in Cygwin

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 22 19:05:10 EST 2005

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 07:56:40 +0800, Jacob Delfos
<jacob.delfos at maunsell.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I know someone has probably asked this once, but... are there any
> instructions on how to compile Gdal using Cygwin? I once spent a day trying,
> but gave up when the errors got too exotic. The problems I ran into were
> mostly about it not detecting my platform. I modified the GDALmake.opt file,
> trying to hardcode it to win32 related settings, but in the end I gave up.

Jacob,

In the past a baseline GDAL has generally built fairly successfully
on cygwin/gcc.  However, gcc has radically different C++ name
mangling than MS VisualC++ so it is essentialliy impossible to call
MS style C++ DLLs like the ECW and MrSID ones from a Cygwin
style build of GDAL.

> Reason I'm trying this is that I'm desperate for a gdal dll that supports
> mrsid and ecw. I've got one that does either, but not both......
> Unfortunately, I haven't got any other platform for compiling. I'm not
> particularly experienced in compiling, but if I know it's possible in
> cygwin, I won't give up.

I gather you don't have access to MS Visual C++?  I think they
do have some sort of unoptimizing version of it available for free
download.

Also, I think you will find that Howard Butlers "kitchen sink"
binaries for win32 of mapserver include a GDAL built with
MrSID and ECW support though I am not sure ... and it is
possible that Howard's binaries lag the recent MrSID
improvements.

Finally, I am hoping to include MrSID support as an add on
to the FWTools builds soon.

Best regards,