grouping raster tiles for mapserv WMS

Jeff de La Beaujardiere jeff2002 at SUNRISE.GSFC.NASA.GOV
Wed Feb 23 13:09:58 EST 2005

Jeff de La Beaujardiere wrote:
> I would like to have a separate TILEINDEX at each resolution,
> with appropriate MINSSCALE and MAXSCALE, but I don't see how
> to group those in a single WMS LAYER since CLASS can contain
> MINSCALE and MAXSCALE but cannot contain TILEINDEX (i.e., it
> seems only 1 TILEINDEX is permitted for each LAYER).

I thank this list for the helpful replies. The use of 'GROUP',
and some tinkering with SCALE values, solved the problem.

Follow-up question: I found the useful 'wms_group_title'
metadata item. Am I correct in thinking there is no equivalent
'wms_group_abstract'? My parent layer is currently displaying
the GROUP value (= Layer Name) as "abstract." (wms_group_title
would have been a better choice on the part of mapserv if
there is no slot for an explicit abstract.)

-Jeff DLB