Dot density maps

Steve Hall steve.hall at MERCATORGEOSYSTEMS.CO.UK
Fri Feb 25 11:52:35 EST 2005

Hi Steve,

Thanks for this - I am familiar with thematic mapping and this is a specific
request for a dot-density map alas!

I don't like them that much myself by my "client" does...  They particularly
like the way that (in MapInfo anyway) you can overlay the dot-density
thematic on top of a "regular" thematic like the one you are talking about
here.  A popular use is to thematically map a sales count of their product
using your technique here (e.g the more "green" it is, the more sales they
have) but then put something like Population "on top" with a dot-density
layer so you can, in the same map, compare your product sales against
population.

I know this is a pretty specific requirement but it's part of a potential
plan to wean some clients off of MapInfo "desktop" and onto a server-based
platform (and hopefully MapServer based).  MapInfo seem to be amongst the
very few that provide dot-density mapping.  Not even ESRI's ArcIMS does
it...

Thanks anway,

Steve