Problem with Mapserver 4.4.1 compiled with Visual Studio .NET

David Ratcliffe rati at POST.COM
Mon Feb 28 21:17:41 EST 2005

This post is more of a report than a question, as I seem to have solved
the problem.

I’ve recently been trying to get Mapserver version 4 .4.1 up and running
with Tomcat 5.

I started off by using the latest versions of the Win32 binaries as linked
from the Mapserver website. On nearly every occasion (once a query string
was passed), mapserv.exe terminated with the error:

The instruction at '0x77f88216' referenced memory at '0x00000010'. The
memory could not be "written".

I then tried compiling the version 4.4.1 source using Visual Studio .NET.
I encountered exactly the same problem.

Debugging mapserv.exe usually brought me to a call to 'rewind' in the
function 'int msAddImageSymbol(symbolSetObj *symbolset, char *filename)',
defined within mapsymbol.c on line 488 (of version 4.4.1 of the source).
However, surely the problem can’t be there... I can’t see a problem with
the code at that location. I believe it is more likely that there is a
problem with Visual Studio .NET 2003, because when I tried again,
compiling everything with Visual Studio (NOT the .NET version), everything
worked first time without any problems.

Have the Win32 binaries linked from the Mapserver website been compiled
using Visual Studio .NET? They’re simply not working on my system.

Here’s my setup:

OS: Windows XP Professional with SP2
Web Server: Apache Tomcat/5.0.28
Mapserver Version: 4.4.1 (Source with only the required libs)
DE: Microsoft Visual Studio 6 (previously Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
2003)

-David