Google Maps API

Kyle Mulka kmulka at GLC.ORG
Fri Jul 1 09:32:35 EDT 2005

To put Google Maps into perspective, all the other major online software
companies have or are going to release some sort of 3d mapping tool. Amazon
released one recently, but then took the link offline. I belive you can
still get it internally. (not from the main page which was
http://maps.a9.com) Microsoft is going to release "Virtual Earth" soon, and
it is expected to be better than the current Google Earth. But, then again,
Google may improve theirs heavely in the coming months. Yahoo released their
mapping API the day after Google did. So, if you want to compare Google with
Yahoo, here's the link: http://developer.yahoo.net/maps/

Here at the Great Lakes Commission, we are excited to hear about the new
Google Maps API as it will allow us to get a street level reference point
for our GIS data.

I personally played around with Google Earth as soon as the free version
came out. I took a few screen shots and posted them here:

http://www.kylemulka.com/wordpress/?p=231

Google Earth is pretty exciting. I think they took the download link down
because of the bandwidth the software must be hogging with all those images.
I'm not sure if they will be able to sustain the free version of Google
Earth as it currently stands even with advertising. Any thoughts?