Serving A Large Archive an openpap-client/wms-server

John Bonk jpbonk at AOL.COM
Mon Jul 11 10:53:34 EDT 2005

Frank,

  Your suggestion is pretty much what I had in mind, though I may not
have expressed myself clearly.

  We have several project in mind wrt to mapserver. I'm thinking that we
should probably start with the simplest and work my way up to this.

 Thanks for the suggestion,
 John

 -----Original Message-----
 From: Frank Warmerdam <fwarmerdam at gmail.com>
 To: jpbonk at aol.com <jpbonk at aol.com>
 Cc: MAPSERVER-USERS at lists.umn.edu
 Sent: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 15:04:58 -0400
  Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Serving A Large Archive an
openpap-client/wms-server

 On 7/8/05, jpbonk at aol.com <jpbonk at aol.com> wrote:
 > Frank,
 >
 > Thanks. We have considered dynamic generation of map files.
 >
  > I haven't yet been able to read up on mapscript, but I'm wondering
how
 > a user would do a GetCapabilities request it this case.

 John,

  I don't really know if it is possible to use mapscript to generate a
mapObj
 and then invoke the mapserver WMS capabilities action on it (much less
  getmap). It might be possible, but I think it is pushing the envelope
a bit.
 Alternatively, you could write a scripted cgi to intercept the
  getcapabilities/getmap requests and prepare a temporary map file on
disk,
 then invoke mapserv. This wouldn't specfically need mapscript.

 Best regards,

  I set the clouds in motion - turn up | Frank Warmerdam,
warmerdam at pobox.com