newbe- mapscript /pil

Richard Alexander raxpl at ANGLESEY.GOV.UK
Wed Jul 13 07:16:23 EDT 2005

hi
I want to open an image created by mapscript using PIL...

I'm using python2.3 on Suse Linux Enterprise Server 9 (not this windows
machine so there may be some minor punctuation errors below)

from Tkinter import *
import mapscript
import Image

theMap = mapscript.mapObj('/srv/www/htdocs/workshop/itasca.map')
theMapImage = theMap.draw()

theMapImage.save('srv/www/htdocs/workshop/tmp.png')
#the above line produces a png image in the correct folder

theImage = Image.open('srv/www/htdocs/workshop/tmp.png')
#the above line causes an IOError to be thrown which seems to
#be triggered by the Load function...

#end

After the program finishes I can open the png image tmp.png in all
other graphics programs  - Pil continues to refuse to open it !

any ideas ?

cheers
RA