Querying points

Jeff Portwine jdport at VERITIME.COM
Wed Jul 13 14:02:15 EDT 2005

My mapscript application reads in coordinates from a table and plots them on
a map.   I'd like to be able to use the point querying abilities of
mapserver so that I can click on those points and bring up another point
specific web page.   In the previous version of mapserver, this wasn't
possible because (at least how I understood it) points added to a map via
mapscript did not have DB entries and thus could not be queried.   At the
time when I posed this question, I believe somebody wrote that this was
fixed in the next version and I was just curious if anybody can verify that
this is in fact possible in the newest version?

I'm currently running mapserver version 4.4.1

For a work around, I  was converting the locations of the plotted points to
their pixel coordinates and making the image into a client side image map
with those pixel regions mapped to the pages I wanted to bring up.   I've
re-written my application though using Rosa and made it much nicer but now
my work around isn't really an option so I'm hoping I can use the point
query function in mapscript to do what I need.

Thanks for any input,
Jeff