Novice with Tutorial Question.

Pagurek,Debbie [NCR] Debbie.Pagurek at EC.GC.CA
Thu Jul 14 16:18:29 EDT 2005

I guess they are in the process of updating the tutorial. But in order
to get something back from the service you tried to access - use the
following:

http://wms.jpl.nasa.gov/wms.cgi?REQUEST=GetMap&LAYERS=us_landsat_wgs84&S
TYLES=&FORMAT=image/png&TRANSPARENT=TRUE&srs=EPSG:4326&bbox=-180,-90,180
,90&width=600&height=300

I did a GetCapabilities request first:
http://wms.jpl.nasa.gov/wms.cgi?REQUEST=GetCapabilities

And that showed me that the layer names are different than expected.
Also - the request needed is request=GetMap, and this service seems to
require the other parameters listed here.  I think this service also
requires case sensitivity?

Good luck,
D. Pagurek

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Jim Downing
Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2005 3:54 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Novice with Tutorial Question.

This is my first exposure to Mapserver, and I'm working through the
tutorial.

I'm having a problem with Example1-6 which is meant to display data from
another WMS service.

The mapfile has a line:
CONNECTION
"http://wms.jpl.nasa.gov/wms.cgi?REQUEST=map&LAYERS=us_landsat7&STYLES=&
FORM
AT=png&TRANSPARENT=true"
which doesn't seem to do anything.

So I sent the request through the browser and got a response that
includes:  <ServiceException>Unknown value for key
'request'</ServiceException>

I'm I doing something wrong here, or is there an error in thr tutorial?

I should probably be able to work this out for myself with some sort of
'discover' command, but I've not got that far yet.

Regards,

Jim Downing
WayTo Integration
Edmonton, Alberta