Problems with gdal

Frederico Lucca fredlucca at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 21 11:58:16 EDT 2005

On 7/21/05, Frank Warmerdam <fwarmerdam at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/21/05, Frederico Lucca <fredlucca at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello list!
> >
> > I'm a new user from MapServer.
> > After I compile it, I start to develop with java in linux.
> > Well, I have some servlets creating maps and getting information from layers.
> > My problem is with tomcat and gdal.
> > I can create maps very quickly but when I put a program in looping to
> > test the performance, tomcat stops and the last message in tomcat's
> > log is:
> >
> > C [libgdal.so.1+0x195d04] _ZN7TABFile13GetFeatureRefEi+0x1b4
> >
> > Maybe is a problem with gdal???
> >
> > Well, any information or help...
>
> Fred,
>
> GDAL and OGR are not really threadsafe, so you need to be
> somewhat careful how you use them in multithreaded environments
> like Java.  There is a mutex around most use of GDAL for raster
> support in MapServer, but I believe that has not been done for OGR.
>
> If you wish, I could try and institute a mutex in the MapServer OGR
> module as well, if you would be willing to test it out deployed in your
> Java work environment.
>
> Of course, that might not be the actual problems.
>
> Best regards,

Hello Frank,

Let me see, if a use a shape file, without OGR, can I have a mutex?
I use a Mapinfo file, but if I can translate this to shape and have a
mutex, I can do this.
I will test...

But if you can do a mutex for OGR (and you think that it's important)
I can test in my enviroment too.

Thank you so much...

Best Regards,

Fred Lucca