off topic: earth.google.com

Brent Fraser bfraser at GEOANALYTIC.COM
Fri Jul 22 11:44:49 EDT 2005

Norman,

  Good points.  It really is just a simple geographic data viewer, but it's
the usability in that context that is impressive.

And here's the Top Ten Things I DON'T Like about Google Earth (but then I
haven't done much digging):

1. No direct support for WMS (and WFS, etc)
2. No map scale, no arrow pointer for mouse (which finger does that lat/lon
reference?)
3. Rough vectors outside of U.S.
4. Thin API
5. No spec on Horizontal or Vertical datums
6. No transparency setting (e.g. white is transparent) on Network Link
raster data sources
7. Streaming server (Keyhole) is proprietary
8. No ability to add your own DEM (without Keyhole server)
9. No min/max scale setting for layers (?)
10. Local images require manual warping (no support for Geotiff tags etc)

On the other hand Google Earth could serve as a functionality to-do list for
osgPlanet:

http://www.ossim.org/tiki-read_article.php?articleId=3

Brent