MapServer 4.6.0-beta2 64bit Perl/Mapscipt Problem

Fri Jun 3 10:40:41 EDT 2005

Sean Gillies wrote:
> On Jun 3, 2005, at 8:11 AM, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
>
>> Lowell,
>>
>> Thank you for the off-list post, it reminded me that I needed to post an
>> update.
>>
>> I took Sean's advice to narrow down the problem by removing stuff from
>> the mapfile. End result was the we quickly determined that the user did
>> not have all the symbols installed on his system. This was a remote
>> debugging using chat and email which as you can imagine is a little
>> tedious. So we got is working and things are good. Thank you all for
>> your help and suggestions they are greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Now back to your regular programming :)
>>    -Steve W
>

> Steve, want to enter a bug in the tracker regarding the consequences of
> referring to an undefined symbol? MapServer should really raise an
> exception in this case instead of crashing.

Yes, I will open a bug for this.

For the archives, The original error message from Perl Mapscript was:

*** glibc detected *** double free or corruption: 0x00000000012817c0 ***

mapscript::mapObj::new(/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/mapscript.pm:1408):

and the problem ended up being that the symbol directory was missing and
it was having heartburn trying to access png symbol

We diagnosed the problem by moving to shp2img which reported:

loadSymbol(): Unable to access file. Parsing error near
(../markers/sm_square.png):(line 73) <br>

which lead me to check if the markers directory was loaded. It wasn't
and loading that directory solved the problem.

-Steve W.