Mapped Network Drives - Win Xp

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Thu Jun 9 10:32:49 EDT 2005

ed at topozone.com
(978) 251-4242

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Jim Bilsborough
Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 11:31 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Mapped Network Drives - Win Xp

Hi,
I'm a newbie here.  last week I installed Windows binaries (ms4w) on a
Win2K machine and followed the instructions and all worked perfect.
Where the instructions recommended installing below the root directory
of a drive, I created a folder called "Mapserver" and used "Map Network
Drive"
to refer to that folder as my M:\ drive (m=mapserver) - like I said, it
worked great - both on that machine and other computers on the network.

This week I ported my work in progress to an computer running Win XP
Professional (SP2), and guess what - it no longer works.  I've
discovered that If I move my MS4W folder below the C:/ root it works
fine, but even if I map the whole of the C:\ drive as drive M:\, my
client pages can never find references to .map files, etc under the M:
drive - it only accepts local C:\ drive references.

I guess this is probably more of an XP issue, than anything to do with
mapserver, ms4w, etc - but I'm hoping someone here has expereinces the
same and knows the solution.

TIA

Jim