GeoTIFF overviews / TILEINDEX / Large dataset performance

Gambin Dejan Dejan.Gambin at PULA.HR
Tue Jun 14 04:59:25 EDT 2005

Ed, Frank,

Thanks very much for the explanations. I realise that the first and the
main thing is to understand my application/usage model before doing any
performance tests/optimizations. My GIS site is now in experimental
phase and I just want to learn as much as I can so that I really KNOW
what to do when the site becomes productional, with many users and maybe
(I hope not) performance problems. I just want to be ready if and when
this comes and that will be very soon. I am working in a local
municipality where many GIS data exists and I wanted to show to my
"bosses" that amazingly good things can be done using open source
software like MapServer. It is not easy to explain to the city
government people the open source philosophy and its benefits. Because
if something bad happens when the production period comes, then all my
efforts will fail and they will be the winners (they - those who are
prefering commercial solutions). As there is none here that can support
such kind of software as the MapServer, then I have to be ready and
armed with knowledge as much as I can.

Well, I have made a big digression from the theme, but I hope you can
understand me and my tiring and boring questions I occupy you with.

Ed, can you tell me how can I see if resampling is occuring to me? I
have set a LOG and DEBUG parameter in map file but I haven't got any
output. Then I saw a bug 709 that discusses this problem. I have set
CONFIG MS_ERRORFILE mapserver.log instead of LOG parameter and I have
seen it is being filled but no resampling messages appear. Must I have
some kind of debug build to enable logging? Is there a way to find out
if resampling occurs (it should occur because I have unconstrained
zooming enabled and built internal overviews with just a few different
resolutions)?

thanks very much

dejan gambin