DEM Elevation data

Jerl Simpson jerl.simpso at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 14 15:32:04 EDT 2005

Hi guys,

I am wanting to add DEMs or some elevation/contour maps to my maps.
But I am curious what works best with Mapserver.  I have found several
different resource, but am at a loss as to which one I need.

The first one I tried, which was to download JPEG images and convert
them to TIFF images, never actually show up as a layer.  This may be a
format issue on my part.  I haven't dug into that yet.

I found one that is a ETOPO2 Global 2-Minute Gridded Elevation Data.
But I don't know what that is and not sure if it can be used.  If
someone knows a trick, I'd be please to find out.

Similar issue with GLOBE files from NOAA.  Not sure if I can convert
them to a format that's useful to use with Mapserver.

I'm sure there are other options, I just haven't found them.

I appreciate any help anyone might be able to give.

Thank you,

Jerl