time series representations in Mapserver

David Bitner osgis.lists at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 23 17:21:43 EDT 2005

Gerry,

Did you ever get anything figured out for this?  I just came upon this
thread again.  if you take Uli's reccomendation and go with the WMS
Time approach, you can build upon whats been done by the mapbuilder
folks (http://mapbuilder.sourceforge.net/). Otherwise if you look on
pure javascript resources for information on preloading images (just
manipulate the time string that you send to the map requests) and
animating them using javascripts setTimeout function.  Most of the
resources for this are for creating rotating banners on web pages, but
the idea holds perfectly well for creating animated maps.  I know a
couple NWS sites use this approach for radar.  I used this on the NWS
Hydrologic Remote Sensing Center (http://www.nohrsc.nws.gov) site to
animate snow pack (not a mapserver backend, but same idea).

David