buffer (GEOS) in Mapserver 4.6

Lowell Filak lfilak at MEDINACO.ORG
Fri Jun 24 13:16:24 EDT 2005

The following message was sent by Monica Socol <Monica.Socol at DPRA.COM>
on Wed, 22 Jun 2005 15:48:00 -0500.

> I have found in the History document for Mapserver version 4.6:
> "Finished code to convert back and forth between GEOS geometries. Buffer
> and
>   convex hull operations are exposed in mapscript"
>
> But this is all I could find. Does this mean that mapscript exposes
> Buffer functionality for different types of geometries (not only point)?
> Does anyone knows how to use GEOS with mapscript?

Monica,

You don't mention what flavor of mapscript...
The configure file for swigmapscript points to mapscript/swiginc/shape.i
which in turn spells out that you can take a shapeObj and run a buffer
on it using a desired width and also take a shapeObj and run a
convexhull on it.
For a buffer the call should be '$newshape = $shape->buffer(int width)'
& '$newshape = $shape->convexHull()' for convex hull.

HTH

Lowell