WMS server - legend graphic/symbology

Bonnie Stewart Bonnie.Stewart at DLI.WA.GOV.AU
Sun Jun 26 20:03:38 EDT 2005

Hi Kevin,

In ArcMap, there's an option "Make newly added layers visible by default", under Tools -> Options -> General tab.
I think this is why the layers are always on - if I remember correctly, it turns on the first 20 layers when you connect to a WMS.

Try unchecking this option and see if that fixes the problem.

Cheers,

Bonnie

__________________________________
Bonnie Stewart
Research Officer
Satellite Remote Sensing Services
Information Access Division
Department of Land Information
65 Brockway Road, FLOREAT WA 6014
Ph. (08) 9387 0342 | Fx. (08) 9383 7142
bonnie.stewart at dli.wa.gov.au
www.dli.wa.gov.au

________________________________

From: UMN MapServer Users List on behalf of Kevin Grootendorst
Sent: Fri 24/06/2005 11:00 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [Maybe SPAM] Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] WMS server - legend graphic/symbology

Bart,
Thanks for your suggestion.
I added NAME " " to the CLASS object and everything works as expected.

Do you know why ALL the wms layers would be turned 'on' while viewing in
ArcMap?  I assumed that only the layers with STATUS ON would be visible
initially.

The log that ArcMap sends is as follows:
"GET /cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=/web/maplab-
2.2/Pelee/Pelee.map&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMap&SRS=EPSG:26917&BBOX=298978.
084774465,4606186.14109543,512740.303618177,4785860.76331283&WIDTH=972&HEIGH
T=817&LAYERS=Municipalities_coarse,Cities&STYLES=&EXCEPTIONS=application/vnd
.ogc.se_xml&FORMAT=image/png&BGCOLOR=0xFFFFFF&TRANSPARENT=TRUE HTTP/1.1"
200 53798

The 'cities' layer is set to Status OFF, but still draws when the service
is first added to ArcMap.

Kevin
On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:48:29 +0200, Bart van den Eijnden <BEN at SYNCERA-
ITSOLUTIONS.NL> wrote:

>You always need to add a NAME to the CLASS which you want Mapserver to
show in the legend.

>Not sure if this will get you through showing the legend in ArcMap though.
Try and log the request that ArcMap is sending.

>Does Mapserver put a LegendURL in your WMS capabilities and does it work?
I am assuming ArcMap will use that for input.

>Best regards,
>Bart
>
>Bart van den Eijnden
>Syncera IT Solutions
>Postbus 270
>2600 AG  DELFT
>
>tel.nr.: 015-7512436
>email: BEN at Syncera-ITSolutions.nl

>Hi,
>I have a map file which I'm setting up as a WMS server, so that I can view
>my data in ArcMap 9.
>I'm successful in viewing the WMS in ArcMap, however it does not contain a
>graphic in the legend.  In other words, the layers draw correctly (with
>same colors as in the map file), but the legend does not indicate any
>symbology.
>
>Any ideas how I can get the legend symbology to show?
>Using MS 4.4 on win2000.
>
>Below is a snippet from my .map file:
>(web definition:)
>WEB
>    IMAGEPATH "C:/web/ms_tmp/"
>    IMAGEURL "/ms_tmp/"
>  METADATA
>     "wms_title" "Pelee WMS"
>     "wms_onlineresource" "http://maps.baird.com/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?
>map=/web/maplab-2.2/Pelee/Pelee.map&"
>     "wms_srs" "EPSG:26917"
>     "wms_abstract" "Pelee WMS server"
>            "wms_style" ""
>   END
>  END # END OF WEB SECTION
>
>(layer definition):
>LAYER
>    #NAME "Municipalities (coarse)"
>    NAME "Municipalities_coarse"
>    GROUP "BASE"
>    METADATA
> "wms_title" "Municipalities"
>        "wms_srs" "EPSG:26917"
> "wms_style" ""
>        "wms_group_title"  "base"
>    END
>    STATUS on
>    DATA "./Municipalities"
>    TYPE POLYGON
>    UNITS METERS
>    TEMPLATE "ttt"
>    SIZEUNITS PIXELS
>    TOLERANCE 0
>    TOLERANCEUNITS PIXELS
>    LABELITEM "NAME"
>    CLASS
>    LABEL
>        TYPE BITMAP
>        SIZE tiny
>        POSITION cc
>        OFFSET 0 0
>        COLOR 100 100 100
>        #SHADOWSIZE 1 1
> OUTLINECOLOR 255 255 255
>      END
>      STYLE
>        SYMBOL 8
>        OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0
>        BACKGROUNDCOLOR 99 99 99
>        SIZE 2
>      END
>    END
>  END

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are intended only for the use of the addressee(s).  It may contain information that is confidential and privileged.  If you are not an intended recipient, any use, interference with, disclosure, distribution or copying of this material is unauthorised and prohibited. If you receive this in error, please notify the author by Return email to the sender. Information in this message not relating to the official business of DLI shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.  While every care is taken, it is recommended that you scan any attachments for viruses. DLI liability is limited to re-supplying affected attachments.