Wishing we had COLORRAMPs or something

Wed Jun 29 11:07:52 EDT 2005

Frank,

I will add some thoughts to the bug. Off the top of my head, I am
thinking it would be nice to have something like:

RAMPBREAKS 0 5.2 27.3 ... 503.4

Which would be used to slot the RAMPITEM into discrete ranges instead of
  continuous interpolation. This would get converted to something like

switch (RAMPITEM) {
   case <=     0: under_range;
   case <=   5.2: slot=0;
   case <=  27.3: slot=1;
   case <= 503.4: slot=n;
   default: slot=over_range;
}

then use slot 0 .. n for lookup on the ramp and
allow:

OVERCOLOR  210 210 210
UNDERCOLOR  92  92  92

These makes it very flexible the user point of view, and we have all the
information to compute varying slots on a ramp, and for create legends
based on discrete slots.

Also, on the COLORRAMP allow multiple RGB points so you can have more
colors. Like:

COLORRAMP 0 0 255   255 255 255   255 0 0

for a ramp that goes from Blue to white to red

I need to play with it more, and I will add these thoughts to the bug.

Bill,

Right, I did not use a style, I will try that when I get a chance tonight.