Shapefile vs Postgres/Postgis

Bart van den Eijnden bartvde at XS4ALL.NL
Wed Mar 2 03:49:55 EST 2005

Hi Hiten,

the main advantages of using a spatial database opposed to shapefiles are
in my opinion:

-maintenance
-data integrity
-the ability to perform difficult spatial analysis on your data using SQL

See also:
http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2002-July/001247.html

We use the Deegree Catalog in several projects, but it is based on the
Deegree 1 (WCAS 0.0.6), and not on the Deegree 2 (CS-W). It is not very
easy to configure etc., but it works excellent. If you want to use it I
suggest working together with Lat/Lon, the German company behind Deegree.

Best regards,
Bart