PHP Mapscript bundled dlls VS Stand Alone Mapserver dlls

Piero Cavalieri piero.cavalieri at HEIDI.IT
Thu Mar 3 06:39:17 EST 2005

A question:

I just downloaded and installed Mapsever 4.4.1 binaries for Windows
(ms441pg).
Then I downloaded mapserver-4.4.1-win32-php4.3.7.zip by DM Group.

I saw is a lot of difference in file size on the major dlls.
For example NCSEcw is about 1Mb for standalone version, and is
about 180Kb for MapScript bundled version.

I'm a bit confused on the right version to use. Currently
I use MapServer both via direct cgi-requests and both via PHP-MapScript.
Both works (or it seems to works) fine using one version of dlls or the
other (I done so with ECW dlls, for example), but what's correct to do
in this situation ?

Thanks
    Piero