Figure out the XY position on the resulting map of a point

James martin426 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Mar 6 15:59:00 EST 2005

Hello,

Using mapscript, is there a way to figure out what the resultant XY position
of a point object will be on the output image?  As an example, using a
simple lat/lon projection, knowing the lat/lon position of the point, the
dimensions of the image and the extent, simple algebra leads me to the XY
position of said point.

However, when using a different projection this is not possible as each
pixel no longer represents the same amount of lat/lon distance.  I can
project my lat/lon point to the new projection, but is there any way to
extract the XY coordinates?

Obviously Mapserver must do this to actually place the point on the
resulting image, but I haven't been able to figure out how to get at that
information.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

James