Question about showing a location in mapserver by longitude/latitude

Karl Lehenbauer karl-umn at SC.COM
Mon Mar 7 14:47:34 EST 2005

On Mar 7, 2005, at 10:53 AM, Karl Lehenbauer wrote:

> Greetings mapserver users....

OK, so I figured out more about this, and it's gotta be THE dumb
question y'all are sick of hearing.  So I gotta figure out projections
and stuff.  I get that.  But that is something mapserver is already
doing, right?  I have some lat/longs I want to add to my file, I can do
it with the inline layer.  I'm trying stuff like this:

LAYER
   NAME "inline_cities"
   STATUS default
   DEBUG ON
   PROJECTION
                 "proj=merc"
                 "ellps=GRS80"
                 "lat_ts=34"
                 "lon_0=-118"
                 "no_defs"
   END
   TYPE POINT
     FEATURE
       POINTS
         32.42 99.68
       END
       TEXT "Abilene"
     END
...etc...

But of course the points are way off from where they need to be.  I
know I'm over my head here, and I have ordered "the book", but in the
meantime, is there some cool way to make this go?  I mean, Tiger data
is lat/long and mapserver groks it.