puzzling error message: arString(): Unable to access file. adLabelString()

Bruce Raup brauplists at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 11 17:41:31 EST 2005

Hi all,

I've just installed mapserver on a new Linux computer (config details
below).  The build process went apparently flawlessly, and I copied
the resulting "mapserv" to the cgi-bin directory.  I built it for use
with MapScript, but haven't finished installed those parts.

I tried a simple test, but only get the error message:

  arString(): Unable to access file. adLabelString()

which is the same message I get when I specifiy a nonexistent mapfile
name.  When I use the query-less URL
"http://glims.colorado.edu/cgi-bin/mapserv", I get the (normal?)
response

  No query information to decode. QUERY_STRING is set, but empty.

The form of the first error message looks strange.  Running "strings"
on the mapserv executable, I see functions called "loadScalebarString"
and "loadLabelString", but not the subsets of these as in the error
message.

Any ideas what could be wrong?  TIA, Bruce

Config details:
$ ./mapserv -v
MapServer version 4.4.1 OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP OUTPUT=PDF
SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER
SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT
SUPPORTS=WCS_SERVER INPUT=TIFF INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL
INPUT=SHAPEFILE

$ uname -a
Linux glims 2.6.5-7.111.19-smp #1 SMP Fri Dec 10 15:10:58 UTC 2004
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

--
Bruce Raup
http://cires.colorado.edu/~braup/