gdaltindex in DOS

Ethan Alpert ealpert at DIGITALGLOBE.COM
Mon Mar 14 18:34:30 EST 2005

The DBF file part of shapefiles contains values (attributes) that are
associated with each shape. It sounds like the DBF files of each
shapefile have different attribute names and types so they can't be
tiled. Basically to use tiling your shapefiles must all represent the
same types of features. So you won't be able to tile say a streets
shapefile with a highways shapefile unless you make sure the entries in
the DBF files have the same name and types across files.
-e

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Yar Doroshenko
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2005 4:25 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] gdaltindex in DOS

Thank You Ethan!

Is tile4ms my only option for tiling shapefiles then?

I've heard that tile4ms won't improve my performance. If yes, what is
the correct order if geting tile4ms to work in DOS? Here is the way I
tried it before. I created an index file containing the paths to and
names of my shapefiles (I did it half-manually, since  dir \a \o:gen >
data_dir.in creates an index of every file, including dbf, not only
.shp)

Next, I ran  tile4ms data_dir.in data-tile  command

and I got a dbf type mismatch error message (sorry can't tell exact
error message since I'm on my laptop, not at work)

I also know from the following link that, qoute: "One of the caveats of
this is that all the shapefiles in the index MUST have the SAME
attributes and order of attributes and they must be all the same type."

Which atributes, order and type?

http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0502&L=mapserver-
users&T=0&F=&S=&X=5990007F5C894A6EE4&Y=numerous at gmail.com&P=83312

Does anyone know the syntax for tile4ms in DOS?

Thank You!