Mark center of map?

Fawcett, David David.Fawcett at STATE.MN.US
Tue Mar 15 17:51:17 EST 2005

Richard,

I am pretty sure that you want to place a FEATURE on your map.

Take a look at the documentation here:  http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc44/mapfile-reference.html#feature

The POINTS are in pixels, so based on the image size that you have specified, you can easily calculate the center pixel.

Instead of placing a label as done below, you want to draw an 'x' or cross.  I don't have a symbol definition handy, but you should be able to find one in the list archives.

Here is a layer from a mapfile that I use to label the top of a map image:

 LAYER
  NAME "MapLabel"
  TYPE ANNOTATION
  STATUS DEFAULT