tileindexed layer crashing...

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Fri Mar 18 10:59:56 EST 2005

Jeff -

It's certainly a good idea to do early-stage development on a
non-production machine; I'm sorry you got there the hard way, but it's
good to be there <g>.

First, some nit-picking.  I presume you did something first to create a
"data_dir.in" file, right?  And there's a space between xargs and "-n",
correct?  The latter shouldn't make much difference.

Does your tiger-roads shapefile look OK?  Do the filesizes look
plausible?  Can you view it in a GIS application (it's just a regular
shapefile)?

As a diagnostic step, I'd suggest changing TILEINDEX to DATA in your
LAYER definition, and the TYPE to POLYGON.  The tile index is a polygon
shapefile with a bunch of rectangles, each describing the bounding box
of one input file.  Use this technique to see if the tile index file
itself looks reasonable.  If it does, then your problem's likely to be
with your TIGER data - otherwise, the TILEINDEX file needs fixing.

-          Ed

Ed McNierney

TopoZone.com